The Vision and Goal of General Education
The idea of "incubating the general talents that meet the expectation of society and industries" is established as the vision of the general education. For the society and industries, it is hoped to create good hands that have the world in his mind, care for the society, dedicate themselves to what they learn and provide their service to the industries. For students, the hope is to generate modern youth that have a broad vision and rich knowledge and knows how to push themselves and keep growing.
General Education Center
Currently, the faculty of the General Education Center consists of 26 people, including a professor, 13 associate professors, 5 assistant professors, and 7 instructors.
1. Fundamental courses: 10 credits of English (arranged by the Language Center), 4 credits of Chinese literatures, 6 credits of physics (arranged by the faculty association of the Department of Electronic Engineering), and 6 credits of calculus.
2. 16 credits of multi-dimensional general education (10 credits of core courses and 6 of extended courses) in 5 disciplines, including logic thinking, culture and arts, civil education, natural exploration, and technology and society.
3. 0 credit of general education lectures in 2 semesters, and 15-24 lectures every semester.
For the short-, mid- and long-term goals, the center will be implementing the following:
1. Short-term goals
- 1. To examine and identify the position of the General Education Center and its duties;
- 2. To review the general core courses of the 5 disciplines and to enhance the development of official, unofficial, and potential courses;
- 3. To continue the "general education lectures" and produce lecture collection DVDs to allow students to learn independently.
- 4. To organize or help organize activities, competitions and speeches;
- 5. To continue to examine and revise the course syllabuses, improve the quality of teaching and enforce the assessment of teaching in the course;
- 6. To provide teachers' training sessions, symposiums and workshops to improve the general knowledge of the teachers;
- 7. To establish the general education speech and presentation space and expand the diverse learning space for the students;
- 8. To work with art and culture centers for the program of "campus artists" and organize lecture series; and
- 9. To encourage teachers to connect the courses to learning through service, and to develop diverse learning paths with community resources.
2. Mid- and long-term goals
•1. To continue to review and revise the contents of official, unofficial and potential courses based on a sustainable development structure;
•2. To carry out a full-scale review of the new directions of the general development courses every year based on the nature and characteristics of National Formosa University;
•3. To be a part of the general academic interaction network for art and culture in central Taiwan and join-force with schools of the same level for relevant activities in order to expand students' field of vision as well as the general education interaction and learning mechanism; and
•4. To assemble a team of volunteers for community general education and encourage local communities to attend the general education lectures.